St. Joseph Parish Mission Statement
The Hands of Christ … Open To All Las Manos de Cristo … Abiertas a Todos
Join us on the journey….and see how belonging to a community of faith in Jesus Christ,
rooted in the Catholic tradition, can make a difference in your life – and in the lives of others!
What We Offer:
- Vibrant weekly worship centered in the Eucharist
- Engaging faith formation and education for children, youth, and adults
- Mission and outreach to those in need in our community…and beyond
- A welcoming and hospitable community of faith and friendship in Jesus Christ
Learn more About our parish…
Pastoral Ponderings . . .
Brenda Cline, Parish Director
Sing to the Lord a New Song!
This past Tuesday, October 8th, our Director of Liturgy and Music – Randy Hilgers – received the Vatican II Award for Service in Liturgy. The Vatican II awards were established in 1991 by the Archdiocese of Milwaukee to honor men and women who exemplify the Catholic Church’s vision set forth in the Second Vatican Council.
Randy is celebrating 40 years of ministry to the Archdiocese of Milwaukee this year. He has spent nearly 25 years at St. Joseph Parish in Grafton, and I have had the blessing of working with him for 19 of those years. I continually witness the myriad ways Randy embodies the spirit of the Second Vatican Council:
– He has formed our parish to understand and celebrate the Eucharist as the “Source and Summit” of our faith and mission. (V2 document: Lumen Gentium, 11)
– Randy has worked hard to focus our faith community on “full, active, and conscious participation” in the liturgy (V2 document: Sacrosanctum Concilium, 14), which in turn positively impacts parishioners’ active involvement in the overall life of the church.
– He has always worked hard to plan a liturgy that is inspired by the weekly readings, the liturgical year, and the life of the community, including an emphasis on mission and justice. The rich variety of music and petitions are an integral and connected part of each celebration.
– Randy does a fine job leading our Liturgy and Worship Committee, with well-formed volunteers leading the ministries of lector, usher, art and environment, and more.
– His talent as a musician, singer, and director are unsurpassed! Each liturgy has exceptional cantors, choristers, and musicians, involving a large variety of parishioners. Our accomplished parish choir rehearses weekly, ministers weekly at mass, has sung at churches and events throughout the Archdiocese, and has even toured internationally!
– Randy also shares his ministry beyond our parish with a variety of Archdiocesan involvement. He has served on ALMA (Archdiocesan Liturgical Musicians’ Association), and is a long-standing member of the Archdiocesan Choir. Randy also assists other parishes and the diocese with ministry and events as needed.
One of the most frequently received compliments about St. Joseph Parish is our exceptional music, which leads people to prayer, inspiration, and action. St. Joseph Parish is greatly blessed by Randy’s ministry to our community! Please join me in congratulating Randy on the honor of this award by partaking in hospitality after all of the masses this weekend.